- 1 lb. (500 g) beef flank steak or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lime juice
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) olive or vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) crumbled dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, squished
- 2 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium green or red peppers, sliced
- 8 to 10 small (6-inch/15-cm) flour tortillas
- fajita toppings (such as sour cream, guacamole, chopped avocado, shredded
cheese, salsa, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce)
- Slice the beef or chicken breasts thinly across the grain of the meat. Place
in a zip-top plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, 2 tbsp. (30
mL) of the oil, oregano, garlic, cumin and pepper. Mix well, then pour into the
bag with the meat. Press out as much air from the bag as possible and zip the
top closed. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours (or overnight).
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in a 250° F (120° C) oven to warm while you
prepare the filling.
- When you're ready to cook, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the
remaining 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of oil to the skillet and throw in the sliced onions
and peppers. Stir-fry, tossing constantly, until the vegetables soften and are
beginning to brown lightly. Remove from skillet, leaving any oil behind.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and, with the skillet still over high
heat, add the meat to the pan, tossing constantly until just cooked through.
Return the onions and peppers to the skillet, stir to combine and then transfer
to a serving platter. (If your kids prefer their meat not to touch their
vegetables, simply skip this last step and don't combine the meat and veggies
- Serve with warmed tortillas and a selection of toppings.
- Note: If you prefer to cook the meat on the barbecue grill, don't slice it
before marinating. Grill the beef or chicken breasts whole until cooked through,
then slice and combine with the stir-fried onions and peppers just before
How kids can help
Combine ingredients for the marinade and add to
the meat in the plastic bag.
Cut up peppers and onions.
Prepare bowls of